The Mentoring Committee engages young lawyers in the positive development of Cincinnati youth through partnerships with local schools and agencies committed to this same agenda.
A Message from the Co-Chair
To our faithful tutors and mentors of years past – and those who’ve expressed interest in participating –
The time has come to launch this year’s tutoring program at SCPA. This is the FINAL CALL FOR TUTORS!
This is a short session, starting next week!
We are again working with Ms. Clarissa Goosby and Ms. Kirsten Pietila, and their third grade students.
A few notes on the program, if you’re interested:
- The fall session will start the week of March 2nd and last until just around April 30th (we ask that you try to meet at least 5 times during that period).
- We tend to target “lunchtime” on a particular day of the week (lunch usually is around 11:15-1:30), but there are a few students in the after school program if that works better for you.
- If you have a conflict on your normal day/time, we ask that you email the student’s teacher as early as possible to let them know and set up an alternative day. Both Ms. Goosby and Ms. Pietila are flexible and accommodating.
- You’ll meet with the students between 45 minutes – 1 hour each week, depending on the lesson.
- The teachers put together work sheets and flash cards to review with the students.
- There’s plenty of inexpensive metered parking on both Central Parkway and the nearby streets – and all the meters accept credit cards now!
- We pick up the students outside of their teachers’ classrooms on the second floor of SCPA, at the end of the first hallway on your right when you get to the top of the stairs.
If you’re new to the program and would like to visit the school before tutoring starts, just let me know! We can set up a time to visit the classroom and introduce you to your student’s teacher.
Otherwise, if you’d just like to sign up, just send me a quick email with your preferred day and time (e.g., “Mondays at lunchtime”).
Thank you for your commitment to this wonderful program. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me!
Jason Palmer and Amanda Penick, on behalf of the CBA’s YLS Mentoring Committee
Please contact the Mentoring Committee Co-chairs, Amanda Penick (APenick@Graydon.com) and Jason Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org), with any questions.