If I am in an accident and hurt, what should I do?

by Timothy B. Heather, Lawyer Referral Service Panelist

If you are injured in any way, it is a good idea to seek medical treatment, be it at the Emergency Room or your family doctor.  Don’t make any general statements at the accident scene about your physical condition other than to describe your symptoms to the medical emergency personnel.  The more time which passes between the accident and your receiving any medical care, the less likely your doctor will attribute your complaints to the accident.  If you go to the Emergency Room or a medical doctor, be sure to advise the healthcare provider about the accident and describe as thoroughly as possible what happened to you physically as a result of the accident and how you have felt since that time.

Remember that all claims have statutes of limitations which destroy your legal rights if they are not pursued within a specific time period.  While there are exceptions, generally speaking, the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit arising out of a car accident is two years from the date of the accident.

Click here to find an attorney in this area of law.

This entry was posted in Accidents/Insurance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , .

Comments are closed.

Home CLE Membership Foundation Committees/Groups Careers News & Resources About Us Contact Us