Can I change my child’s last name from the father’s surname to my surname?

by John D. Treleven, Lawyer Referral Service Panelist

Yes, you may.  However, there are a number of steps you must take, including proper service via publication, before you can change your child’s name.  If the father consents to the name change, then the matter can be concluded by filing all the necessary documents with the probate court, paying the requisite fees, and publishing a notice of the name change in a local newspaper.

However, if the father does not consent to the name change, then a formal hearing on the matter is required.  The father will have written notice of the hearing and may object to the change at the hearing.

The Hamilton County Probate Court does a terrific job of providing information about how to file for a name change.  You can find more information at

Click here to find an attorney in this area of law.

This entry was posted in Wills/Trusts/Other Probate and tagged , , , , , , .

Comments are closed.

Home CLE Membership Foundation Committees/Groups Careers News & Resources About Us Contact Us